DevelopNEXT: Drafts of Land Development Ordinances Chapters 101-103 Now Online
The city’s DevelopNEXT effort to simplify and modernize its development and design standards is advancing, with drafts of the first three chapters of the Land Development Ordinances (LDO) online for public and stakeholder review and comment.
The purpose of the LDO is to regulate things like: housing density, commercial uses, industrial uses, building types, setback & heights, connectivity, landscaping, lighting, open space and parking requirements.
Chapters 101-103 cover Administrative Provisions, Review Process and Applications, and Enforcement.
Additional draft chapters will be available for review and comment over the next several months.
The Planning and Engineering Design Standards (PEDS) Manual, posted online in early October, is also still available for review and comment. The purpose of the PEDS is to communicate to developers, architects, engineers, and other design professionals, the City’s design standards and development expectations for the many and varied land uses in the city.
Through the DevelopNEXT update, we will be able to:
• Align our ordinances and design standards with the values described in our city’s General Plan 2035
• Implement new state statutes and federal guidelines
• Improve the city’s standards for site, open space, architectural design
• Consolidate the city’s design standards guides into one document
• Simplify and clarify the structure/organization of the documents and the rules within them, making them easier to read, administer and enforce
To review and comment on the available drafts and to learn more about DevelopNEXT, please visit surpriseaz.gov/developnext.